Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Unsung Heroes

During the Fuller Family Reunion in July, we were asked who our heroes from the scriptures/church history are. I did not answer at the time, but not because I did not know the answer. This blog is my answer to the question, complete with the why.

My family took a vacation to Nauvoo the summer that I graduated High School. On this trip we got to see many church history things, including Carthage Jail. I believe that it was outside of the jail that there was a statue of Joseph and Hyrum Smith. We often think of all of the things that Joseph Smith went through (he was my brother Jake's age when he had his first vision!), but in those last moments, and I am sure in the hours, days, weeks, months, and years between; by his side was Hyrum. I wondered then, if I, as an older sibling, would be as supportive of a younger sibling--if I would stand by them at the risk of my life, if I would believe the words of one of them enough to pray to the Lord for answers myself, even if I would be content to be a runner-up of sorts to a younger sibling. I came to the conclusion that Hyrum is the ultimate older sibling. That if there is anyone that I should aspire to be like in my family life, it was him.

Fast forward a while and I was reading in First Nephi, and I discovered that Sam is much like Hyrum. The older brother to the prophet Nephi, having a front row seat to all of Nephi's weird habits and mistakes, but always having faith in the Lord and supporting his brother the Prophet.We hear very little of Sam, but we know that he is never lumped with Laman and Lemuel, we know that he was beaten with Nephi by those same older brothers, we know that his posterity were numbered among the people of Nephi.

Perhaps it is silly of me, but I have taken my role as oldest sibling seriously for many years. I am aware that children watch everything, and learn from what they see. I am inspired by Hyrum, Sam and others like them that were good examples to their younger siblings, and eventually their greatest earthly support as their siblings took on big roles in the Kingdom of God on earth. I hope that I can be like them--a strong support to my own incredible siblings and an example to them as they prepare for their roles in the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment