Saturday, June 3, 2017

The Songs We Cannot Sing Leads Me to this Idea I Cannot Shake

"And Jesus listening can hear the songs I cannot sing." Elder Holland used this line in his April 2017 conference talk, and I have not been able to shake the following thoughts ever since then.

D&C 25:12 says, "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads." My previous understanding of this scripture has led me to sing hymns in a way that made them my own sincere prayers. I think that understanding is still important, but the line "And Jesus listening can hear The songs I cannot sing" in combination with that scripture has brought a new idea and understanding to me: Jesus listening can hear the prayers I cannot say.

Elder Holland, in that same talk, says, "Among the realities we face as children of God living in a fallen world is that some days are difficult, days when our faith and fortitude are tested. These challenges may come from a lack in us, a lack in others, or just a lack in life, but whatever the reasons, we find that they can rob us of songs we so much want to sing."

Sometimes life becomes so hard that I can only find the words for my prayers in a song, and when life is that hard I find that I truly cannot sing that song. My voice will break under the weight of all that I feel. In the very literal sense, those become songs that I cannot sing. At other times I find that my mind and heart will be so overwhelmed and cluttered that I can find no words, mine or otherwise, beyond, "Help me, please." And Jesus listening can hear the songs I cannot sing--the prayers I cannot say.

Abide with Me!

Abide with Me! fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens. Lord, with me abide!
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, oh abide with me!

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day.
Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away.
Change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me!

I need thy presence ev'ry passing hour.
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's pow'r?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Thru cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me!

The above song is one that I cannot always sing. Occasionally it is just a line or two that says what I cannot say, sometimes more. Jesus listening can hear the song I cannot sing, and He answers, "with a blessing upon their heads." In one instance he answered this prayer in the form of another song:

Be Still

Be still and know that I'm with you
Be still and know that I am here
Be still and know that I'm with you
Be still, be still, and know.

When darkness comes upon you
And colors you with fear and shame
Be still and know that I'm with you
And I will say your name.

If terror falls upon your bed
And sleep no longer comes
Remember all the words I said
Be still, be still, and know.

When you go through the valley
And the shadow comes down from the hill
If morning never comes to be
Be still, be still, be still.

If you forget the way to go
And lose where you came from
If no one is standing beside you
Be still and know I am.

Be still and know that I'm with you
Be still and know I am.

I know that Jesus listening can hear the songs we cannot sing. I know because He has answered those songs with blessings upon my head. Whether it be with another song, the sealer at someone else's sealing, a line that stands out in a scripture or a talk, or a simple well-timed text from a friend--Jesus listening has heard the prayers I cannot say. Even when I could say nothing more than "Help!" He has answered. He understands us perfectly and is therefore capable of hearing what we cannot find the words to express. Though the darkness deepens, The Lord with us Abides.

  • Elder Holland's Talk is titled Songs Sung and Unsung and can be found in the May 2017 issue of the Ensign Magazine
  • "Jesus listening can hear The song I cannot sing" is a line from There is Sunshine in My Soul Today, Hymn number 227 in the LDS Hymnbook
  • Abide with Me! is Hymn number 166 of the LDS Hymnbook
  • Be Still is a song by the Fray, I found the lyrics on Google Play Music

No comments:

Post a Comment